1970-1972 Machine Operator / Robal Textiles Brunswick
1973 Quality Assurance Inspector B.F. Goodrich
1973-1977 Pharmacy Assisstant Royal Children’s Hospital, Parkville
1977-1978 Self Employed – Owner/Manager / Mixed Business Reservoir
1978-1998 Senior Employment Officer- Case manager
Department of employment, Education & Youth affairs
1996-2012 Councillor - Moreland City Council
1998 / 2004 /2006 Mayor ( 3 Terms ) Moreland City Council
1999-2001 Office Manager - MBS. Finance and accounting Business
2011-2012 Community Relations Manager - Beirut Hellenic Bank
2012-2014 various jobs in the hospitality
2015 Sales Manager / I Pure Water
2016 to present Freelance Business
Consultants on various projects
Hospitality & Business manager
Translator & Interpreter
1968 Baccalaureate Second Division in Lebanon(equivalent to HSC in Victoria)
1982 Completed one year Associate Diploma in Ethnic Studies at Phillip Institute of Technology Melbourne
1987 Completed one year Academic Interpreting/Translating at the Royal Institute of Technology
1987 Graduate Interpreter/Translator in English and Arabic Languages – accredited by NAATI
1999 Completed Real Estate agents representative course
2007 Certificate IV in Building at RMIT from professionals group
2008 Diploma of Health Counselling conducted by medical register of Australia
2012 Graduate Diploma – Australian Institute of Company Directors
Past Memberships on Victoria Government and Non-Government Bodies and (i.e. Boards Memberships, Committees, Council Memberships and Community Groups
· Former Councilor of Moreland city for 17 years
· Former Mayor Moreland City ( 3 Terms ) 1998-2004-2006
· Former Scout Group Leader - Established the first Arabic speaking group in
· Member of the Australian/Arabic Speaking Workers Network
· Twice Former Chairman of the Moreland Community Health Centre and
board member for 25 years
· Treasurer of the Australian Moronite Catholic Council of Victoria for 15 years
· Freelance Journalist
· Local Justice of Peace
· Former member represent the Council on various committees internal and
external such as the Sydney Road Development, Merri Creek, Moreland
Library, CERES, Audit Committee, Former Portfolio Councillor for City Works
· Former urban Planning Committee
· Former Coburg 2020 initiative
· Former Communications Task Group
· Former Moreland Friendship/Relationships Committee
· Former CEO Selection Review Panel
· Former Transport Moreland Forum
· Former Chair Interfaith Gathering Committee
· Former Chair of the Audit committee Moreland city council
· Former Financial Review Committee
· Former member Sydney Road Traders Association
· Former chairman of the Victorian Arabic Festival and board member.
· Former Member responsible for social diversity and reconciliation
· Former of Member of audit committee
· Former Moreland reconciliation steering committee
· Former Merri creek committee of management
· Former member Portfolio for corporate services
- In testimony of my work, I received the Adult Multicultural Services
Humanitarian Award (Special Commendation) 1997 for my role in
‘empowering groups or individuals of newly arrived migrants and refugees
to move towards independence and self sufficiency; assisting in the
settlement of individuals and members of ethnic groups; and for a
commitment to the needs of refugees’
- In 2001, I was awarded the Victorian Multicultural Commissions’
Multicultural Volunteer Award in recognition of service to the community
- In 2003, I was awarded the Centenary Medal by Her Majesty, Queen
Elizabeth II for service to the community
- In 2006, I was appointed consultant for the SHAAN XI (Costume Art College)
in China. Camps for more than 25,000 students.
- In 2008, I was awarded the Mayor Emeritus from (MAV) Municipal
Association of Victoria for outstanding services in Local Government as a
Mayor for three Terms.
- In 2011, I was awarded from (MAV) Municipal Association of Victoria for
over 15 years outstanding service to the community.
Born in Lebanon, came to Australia in the early 1970’s and settled in Brunswick. I managed to get work in a Brunswick Textile factory as a machine operator. The work involved was to spin yarn which was hard work for someone like me as I didn’t speak any English nor did I have any family member or relative here to help me. I didn’t expect to start work immediately.
Shortly after helping myself with English classes and lots of reading I started to help others. I have held several positions in the private and public sectors.
In March, 1998, I became the Third Mayor of the Local Government of Moreland and was re-elected Mayor for the second term in 2004 and for a Third term in 2006 and a Councillor since 1996 to 2012.
Prior to local government, I had extensive experience with various community groups, spanning the 50 years in which I lived, worked and raised my family in the City of Moreland. One of my enduring areas of interest and involvement has been working with various non-English background communities.
This in part arises out of my own experience arriving in Australia as a migrant. This personal insight has enabled me to assist others to understand the system of the Australian society. My expertise in these areas grew out of my personal role with the Commonwealth Employment Service. This has been built upon my capacity as a Councillor, Mayor, Board Member, and Chairman of various boards and as a Public Office Holder. I have developed, addressed and negotiated with groups representing industry, residents, various professionals, bureaucrats, politicians and ministers.
I have completed nearly 25 years of involvement in a Local Community Health Centre and many other groups and associations in Victoria. This has involved frequent analysis of situations through research, reading reports, discussion, consultations and the analysis of statistical data across a diverse range of disciplines such as Immigration, Human Services, Centre Link, Local Government, State and Federal, Newspapers, Television and many other agencies.
I am able to set goals and priorities, have a good capacity to organise my workload and work well under pressure. I also have been active in policy development and implementation at all levels on a variety of issues.
In conclusion, I am from Non-English speaking country and I have faced the barriers that most of the migrants have faced and what I have learned is based on my ability and desire to learn.